Saturday, May 17, 2008

We made it

Well, we made it through the mid watch string.

I swear, I have never been more tired except for maybe the first two weeks after Miss C was born. For the past 5 days, I had to get Miss C out of her crib at 930pm and take her over to Mrs J's for a "sleep over" then go to work until 730am. I would get home by 8am, call Mrs J to check on how she slept etc then catch about 4 hours of sleep and go pick her up. In order to avoid that inevitable Mommy guilt about not doing enough, we always did something in the afternoon after Miss C took a nap. It didn't matter how tired I was (and let me tell you, but Wednesday, I was beat!), we did something. By something, I mean we usually went for a long hike around our neighborhood or played in the yard. We did lots of reading and coloring but it still didn't make up for the fact that I had to disrupt Miss C's sleep, which I will be paying for over the next couple of weeks.

It takes time to develop habits and by the time the string was done, Miss C wasn't even waking up when I got her to Mrs J's. The problem is, she kind of got used to Mrs J jumping up at her every noise, which is something I finally broke myself of when she was about 6 months old. Not that its bad that Mrs J did that, its what i expect because she doesn't know when Miss C doesn't need help or what at night. We have figured out what noises need attending to etc but she hasn't had time to figure that out at night.

Well, last night, our first night back at home, Miss C woke up a couple of times and when I didn't jump right up, decided yea, she really needed me. It will take a couple more days before I get her back to herself but I guess if this is the worst that comes from the string, I can take it.

Our next hurdle is a week of eve watches. That week I will be taking Miss C to Mrs J's in the early afternoon and picking her up around midnight to get her home.

I know that she will take it fine, I just hope she doesn't get into the habit of getting up at midnight. Again, we can deal with it, but argh! You all know how it is. We have been beyond this stage for a long time and now... to have to deal with the middle of the night awakenings again is tough.

I can't wait until June. I am taking a little leave and once DH gets home, we won't have to move Miss C anywhere at night (thank goodness). I am also supposed to come off this crazy schedule and become a "day snake." I can't wait.

Well, that's pretty much it. Hope everyone had a great week! I am attaching a new picture I took during the string. I think its just the cutest!


Cat said...

Oh wow, I feel for you. Just when you get the perfect sleeping baby, to have a disturbance like that, and then a different one. But like you said, she will readjust pretty quickly to the weird wake-up times. It might take gritting your teeth a little to get past the needing mommy to respond to every noise, though. That's hard.

LizardBreath said...

I have been pretty good at not jumping at every little noise, for the past six months anyway. Its when she's with someone else that they tend to respond to every little noise because they don't know when she's talking to herself or when the noises they are hearing go along with her normal nocturnal activties. With her having a cold now, its very challenging to let her be.

Cat said...

How did it go this weekend with the fever? Did you end up taking her to the doctor?